How to install Android 4.0.4 ICS based AOKP custom ROM on Sony Xperia Ion? Yes, now this popular after market firmware available for this latest handset. This ROM gives pure android experience with some additional features. AOKP ROM based on the AOSP [ Android Open Source ]. It comes with free of Google apps. If you need to use Google play store, sync and other apps on your Sony Xperia Ion, you can flash this post contain Gapps zip file.
Before installing the custom ROM on your Xperia Ion, you have to unlock it bootloader. Rooting and installing a custom recovery, not an essential steps. This installation will wipe all the internal memory data, apps, etc. But it’s not touch external memory. In-addition to that, AOKP not has Sony’s apps, but some of them can be installed from the Google play store. This ROM build by the XDA forum member “championswimmer”.
How to Install Android 4.0.4 ICS based AOKP custom ROM in Sony Xperia Ion lt28.
- Extract the downloaded fastboot zip to the desktop.
- Get the downloaded ROM contain “boot.img” file and save it in the fastboot folder.
- Copy the downloaded ROM and Gpps into the Xperia ion SD card.
- Power off the phone.
- Wait for a few seconds to completely switch off.
- Now boot into the fastboot mode by pressing and holding “Volume Up” key and at the same time connect your Sony Xperia ion to the PC via USB cable.
- Now you’re in the bootloader mode, open the extracted fastboot folder.
- Press and hold the “Shift” key on your PC keyboard and simultaneously right click inside the folder.
- In the Windows context menu click “Open command window here” option.
- Wait for a few seconds to open the Window command prompt.
- Type following command line and press the “Enter” key.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- When you can see the “finished” message disconnects phone from the PC.
- Power on the Xperia ion lt28 phone.
- When you see the first boot-logo, continuously and rapidly press and release Volume up key.
- Now you’re in the clockworkmod recovery.
- First backup the current ROM, in order to do that navigate to “Backup and restore>Backup”.
- Go to “Wipe cache partition>Yes – Wipe cache”.
- Next navigate to “Wipe data/factory reset>Yes – Wipe user data”.
- After that delete the dalvik-cache by selecting “Advanced>Wipe dalvik-cache>Yes wipe cache”.
- Now we can install the AOKP ICS custom ROM on your Xperia ion. To do that go to “Install zip from the sd card>Choose zip from the sd card” and select the downloaded ROM zip file.
- To begin the installation, select “Yes- Install”
- Wait for a few seconds to complete the installation.
- When it’s completed install the Google apps [ Gapps.zip ] file.
- After all the zip file installation completed go back to the CWM main menu and select “reboot system now”.
- First boot takes longer time than usual, but not more than 5 minutes.
- Congratulation, you just installed AOKP android 4.0.4 ICS custom ROM on your Sony Xperia Ion LT28.
- Every week it’s better check for new update. You will not receive OTA notification, instead of that you have to check new version of ROM development page in here. If there’s a new version, when you’re installing it, you can skip fastboot method to install kernel [ boot.img ], also you can skip wipe data factory reset step. But you have to install Google apps.
[Via: XDA forum]