Manually update Sony Xperia Sola MT27i to the latest Android 4.0.4 ice cream sandwich (ICS) 6.1.1.B.1.10 firmware now possible with the flashtool computer application. This method doesn’t need the root permission or unlocked bootloader, it works all the handsets without any issue.
Flashtool can install Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems. Now you need not wait until you receive official update notifications. Just download the ICS update ftf file and flash it with flashtool.
The latest android 4.0.4 ICS updates include many more new features, we already published it in the “ICS rollout for the Sony Xperia Sola, U and Go“, you can read it for more information. This post only for the installation instructions.
This update method will wipe the phone memory, so before follow this tutorial make sure that you have the latest backup in your external memory or personal cloud.
- Installing firmware using flashtool not a harmful process. But if you have done any mistakes your Xperia Sola can be bricked. But again it can recover using flashtool.
- I’m not 100% sure this method will void the warranty, applying this method at your own risk.
- If your device damaged or bricked by following this tutorial, I can’t claim its damages.
- Enable USB debugging (Settings>Applications>Development)
- Backup and sync phone memory [ with root | without root ].
- Charge the battery minimum 50%.
- Install ADB driver [ Guide in here ].
This is the official firmware, it uploaded by the XDA forum member “rohit3221“. It split into the 4 parts for easy download and upload. After downloaded all the 4 parts save all of them in one folder and extract it.
- OFFICIAL ICS Firmware Xperia Sola 6.1.1.B.1.10 in here Or [Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 ]
- Flashtool in here. (Use jDownloader download manager for fast download, after install it go to “Link Grabber” and paste the download page link)
How to install official ICS firmware Xperia Sola MT27i.
- Extract downloaded compressed file.
- Copy extracted ftf file to the flashtool installed folder “firmware” folder. It should be in “C:\Flashtool\firmwares”.
- Run the flashtool as an administrator.
- If the driver installation starts wait until it completed.
- Click the top menu “Thunder icon” like following screenshot.
- Now in the mode selector popup window tick “flashmode“, normally its selected.
- Click “OK”.
- In the firmware section window select the “Xperia Sola 27i” device firmware, just like following screenshot.
- Don’t change the right side “Wipe”, “Exclude” and “MISC” options. Leave them as it’s.
- To start the installation click “OK” button.
- Make sure that your phone’s USB debugging enabled.
- Power off the phone and wait 30 seconds.
- Press and hold the volume down key and same time connect the phone to the PC via USB cable.
- Most of the times, now you can see the popup window and promote to “disconnect phone from the PC and power off….”, ignore that message and wait a few seconds. Now it automatically closes.
- Wait for a few seconds. Now you can see the installation progress at the bottom of the window.
- When it displays “finished” Disconnect phone from the PC and power on.
- First boot takes a few minutes its normal.
- Now you can root your Sony Xperia Sola MT27i using this universal root method.
- Install CWM touch recovery Sony Xperia Sola without unlock bootloader.
- Install Clockwork non-touch recovery Sony Xperia Sola without unlocking bootloader.
- Any manufacturer can release Next Nexus phones [Rumor].
- Fix Google Play Store “We are Unable to verify your account at this time” issue.
- Root Sony Xperia U ST25i & ST25a Android 4.0.4 firmware 6.1.1.B.1.10.
- One tap unlock bootloader Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 with app.
- Install official CWM recovery Asus Transformer TF300T [ v220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168 ].