Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 can update the latest Android 4.3 jelly bean update. This upgrade I’m going to use the CyanogenMod ROM. It’s an unofficial after market ROM . In order to install it, your device should root and installed a custom recovery such as CWM, TWRP or any other. You can follow this blog post requirement steps.
When I’m writing this blog post, still this Android 4.3 jelly bean ROM in the development stage. Though you can install it on your device without much issue. The only issue I face, can’t take screenshots and there’s no root access. We can easily fix the root issue by installing SuperSU 1.50 via recovery.
This installation wipes all the user data on your phone. Therefore it’s better backup and sync your data and files on your phone. Though it’s not wipe the internal SD card on your Galaxy S3.
This custom ROM doesn’t have to Samsung apps and features. But it has all the latest Android 4.3 features. This version knows for optimized performances. When I’m writing this blog post, there’s no Android 4.3 Gapps zip file, therefore you have to use the Android 4.2 zip files.
This is not a Cyanogen team release, it’s built by the codeworkx member in the XDA forum. After weeks we can expect an official build, but there’s no any difference between the official and unofficial versions.
If your device eMMC chip affected by the Sudden death syndrome (SDS), make sure that your firmware fix the SDS. Otherwise there’s a higher possibility to brick your device. If you’re in the Samsung latest Android 4.1.2 firmware, you are safe (use this app to test). If you are not, first install an SDS free kernel and recovery. You can use Siyas, Presure, etc kernel. CWM official recovery.
- This post contains CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM only for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Applying it to another device cause unexpected result.
- Installing custom firmware voids the warranty on your phone.
- If your Galaxy S3 brick or damage by following this CM10.2 ROM installation tutorial, I can’t claim its damages.
- Root the phone [ Guide in here ].
- Install CWM recovery [ Guide in here ].
- Make a apps and data backup [ with root | without root ]
- Backup EFS folder [ Guide in here ].
- Charge the battery minimum 50%.
- Android 4.3 CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM for Galaxy S3 in here.
- Android 4.3 Google apps in here.
- SuperSU zip file in here. (Need only if you want the root)
How to install Android 4.3 Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 with CM10.2 ROM.
- Copy the downloaded ROM and Gapps into your internal or external SD card.
- Power off the phone.
- Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power key, until your SGS3 boot into the recovery.
- First make a nAndroid backup. In case if you like to restore the previous ROM, you can simply restore it.
- Go to “backup and restore>backup”. Once it’s completed, go back to the recovery main menu.
- Next, navigate to “wipe data/factory reset>wipe data”.
- Then go to “install zip from sdcard>Choose zip from sdcard” and install the ROM zip file.
- Next install the Google apps zip file and SuperSU zip file.
- Again you have to wipe data by selecting “Wipe data/factory reset>Wipe data”.
- After that select “reboot system now” option.
- If the recovery mention “disable recovery flash” select “No”.
- Once the phone booted up, you can log-in to the Google play and download apps to your phone.
- Congratulation, you have just updated Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300.
Codeworkx the developer of this ROM release new bug fix. It’s a better check for a new version. You can find the latest version on the above ROM download page.