Sony Xperia Mini, Xperia Mini Pro and Xperia Active user now can easily update to Android 4.2.2 jelly Bean firmware using. This upgrade we use CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) custom ROM. It’s an after market firmware. CM ROM based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project), it gives pure android experience. This ROM includes all the features of the latest Android 4.2.2.
Sony mobile inform they are not providing official jelly bean firmware to Sony Xperia Mini, Mini pro and Active. Then this is a good opportunity. Like other AOSP ROM Xperia CM10.1 ROM come without the pre-installing Google application. Moreover it doesn’t have Sony’s applications. Therefore you have to use Gapps zip file. It includes all the necessary Google apps.
This installation we use CWM added kernel (boot.img), therefore you have to unlock the bootloader. If you don’t have a custom recovery and root permission it’s not an issue, you can follow this tutorial. Because of this kernel has CWM.
Installing custom firmware voids the warranty. If your phone brick by following this tutorial, I can’t claim its damages. Applying this method at your own risk.
- Unlock the bootloader (Guide in here).
- Backup internal memory (Guide in here).
- Charge the battery minimum 50%.
Download page ROM zip files are named with the device code name. Therefore use following names to search your device related ROM zip file.
Xperia Mini =smultron.
Xperia Mini Pro = mango.
Xperia Active = Satsuma.
- CyanogenMod 10.1 for Sony Xperia Mini, Mini pro, Active in here. (Search the latest Build, then download it).
- Google applications in here.
- Fastboot files Adb+fastboot.
- Extended kernel in here. (After downloaded the kernel, rename it as “boot.img“)
How to install Sony Xperia Mini, Mini pro, Active Android 4.2.2 jelly bean CyanogenMod 10.1 Custom ROM.
- Extract the downloaded fastboot zip file.
- Extract the downloaded CM10.1 ROM contain “boot.img” file and save it where you extracted fastboot files.
- Copy the ROM and Gapps zip files and other zip files into an SD card.
- Power off the phone and wait for a few seconds.
- Press and hold the “Volume Up” key and at the same time connect the phone to the PC via USB cable.
- Now you can see the top LED turn to blue color.
- Open the extracted fastboot exe files contain folder.
- Press and hold the shift key on your PC’s keyboard and at the same time right click inside the folder.
- Next Windows context menu click “Open command Window here” option. If you unable to see a context menu or if you are on the Windows XP OS, you have to follow this tutorial.
- Next we are going to install CM kernel. Which means boot.img file. Make sure that your kernel and fastboot exe files are in a same folder.
- Type following command line and hit the enter key.
- If the Windows command window shows “123456789 fastboot devices” or something similar respond, you can go to the next step. If not you have to install ADB+Fastboot drivers on your computer. You can follow this tutorial for that.
- Type following command line.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Then you can see the following type message. Now you have installed the kernel.
- Next disconnect phone from your computer and power ON.
- When the phone booting, when you see the first boot logo and top LED turn to blue. Press volume Down key several times to boot into the recovery mode.
- Now you’re in the recovery mode.
- Go to “backup and restore>backup”. Then your existing ROM and its data will be saved on the SD card “clockworkmod” folder. After you installed CM10.1, if you feel to go back to the old ROM, then you can use this backup.
- Next go to “wipe cache partition>Yes – Wipe cache”.
- After that “wipe data/factory reset>Yes – Wipe data”.
- Then “Advanced>Wipe dalvik-cache> Yes – Wipe cache”.
- Now we can start the CyanogenMod 10.1 installation. Navigate to “install from sdcard>choose zip from sdcard” and browse the copied ROM zip file.
- To start the ROM flash select “Yes – Install. Normally installation will take a couple of minutes. Once it’s done, you are again in the “Choose zip from sdcard” menu.
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard” and browse the Gapps zip file and install it.
- Then install other zip files that you copied in the 3rd step to your SD card.
- Finally after you installed all the zip files go back to the recovery main menu and select “reboot system now”.
- Normally the first booting takes several minutes. Once it’s done, log-in to the Google account.
- When you are updating the ROM you have to again install new ROM zip file contain a kernel (boot.img) and Google and other zip files that you used to this CM10.1 installation. But you don’t need to wipe data/factory reset. This step is an optional.
- It’s a better check for a new update every week.
[Via: XDA forum]
- Install Android 4.1.2 CM 10 Jelly Bean ROM Sony Xperia Mini, Mini Pro, Live With Walkman, Active.
- Simple Free Note Taking App For Android – Notz.
- Install Android 4.1.2 PACMan ROM Sony Xperia Mini Pro, Mini, Active ST17i, Live With Walkman.
- Ccleaner For Android Coming Soon.
- Install Xperia Z TWRP Touch Recovery For Locked Bootloader.