How to install Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Xperia Ray? Now we can use the popular AOKP custom ROM. This ROM based on the Google’s latest (Android Open Source Project) AOSP. Although its rich of advance customizations than the CM10 and the stock ROM. Moreover it gives real Vanilla Android experience. In order to install this post mentioned Android 4.1.2 Xperia Ray jelly bean custom ROM, your ST18i /AT18a bootloader unlock. You can follow this easy tutorial for that.
If Xperia Ray is a lower end device and Sony stop updating it, still there are after market firmware. This AOKP based on the CyanogenMod10. This doesn’t have Google’s apps (Gapps). Therefore you can’t see Gtalk, Google sync, calendar and even Google play store market. It’s not a serious issue, we can install all of those apps using Gapps zip file.
AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) ROM’s have deep customization options. User can customize the UI, navigation bar, lock screen, power menu, notification drawer. Apart from that, this Xperia Ray custom ROM has a special power saving mode. Which gives you longer life than any other after market firmware. Sony Xperia Ray has the same user interface on AOSP firmware.
- Install custom ROM void the Sony Xperia Ray ST18 warranty.
- If your Xperia Ray bricked by following this tutorial, I can’t claim its damages.
- This post contains Android 4.1.2 AOKP ROM zip file only for the Sony Xperia Ray ST18. Applying it to another device cause unexpected errors.
- Unlocked bootloader. (Guide in here)
- Charge the battery minimum 60%.
- Backup user data (Guide in here).
- Install the adb driver (Guide in here).
- AOKP Android 4.1.2 Xperia Ray jelly bean ROM in here or in here.
- Google apps in here.
- Fastboot files Adb+fastboot.
How to install Sony Xperia Ray ST18i Android 4.1.2 Jelly bean AOKP custom ROM.
- First extract the downloaded fastboot compressed file to the desktop. These files need to install the kernel file.
- Then get the downloaded Android 4.1.2 Xperia Ray AOKP ROM contain “boot.img” file and save it fastboot folder.
- Then you need to copy previously downloaded custom ROM and its JB Gapps zip files onto the SD card. It’s better to place them root of the micro SD card.
- Power off the device and disconnect from the PC. Because after power off, it tries to charge.
- Wait for a few seconds (15 seconds).
- Press and hold the “Volume up” key. Then at the same time, you need to connect your Xperia Ray to the PC via the USB cable.
- If it’s successfully connected as the fastboot mode. Now you can see the top LED turn to “Blue” color.
- Open the previously extracted fastboot folder or go to the fastboot file location.
- Now you need to press and hold the “Shift” key on your computer keyboard and simultaneously right click inside the folder. This is a shorter way to open context menu.
- Then you can see the “Windows context” menu.
- Now we have to open the CMD window. Click the content menu “Open command window here” option.
- Then it’s open the “Windows command prompt” (CMD) window.
- Type following command line in the CMD window to install the AOKP custom ROM kernel. Without this kernel, your device will not boot.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- This installation doesn’t take much time. Once you hit the enter key, it finishes the installation. The user can confirm it on the CMD window. If it shows “Finished” message installation success.
- Disconnect the Sony Xperia Ray from the computer and power ON.
- While it booting, you can your device’s “LED” turn to “blue”. Now several times quickly press and release only the “Volume Down” key. It will boot your phone to the custom recovery mode.
- Now you’re in the custom recovery. This kernel has CWM based recovery.
- Go to “backup and restore>Backup”.
- Next navigate”Wipe cache partition >Yes – Wipe cache”.
- Go to “Wipe data/factory reset>Yes – Wipe user data”.
- Then “Advance>Wipe dalvik-cache>Yes – Wipe cache”.
- Go to “Install zip from sd card>Choose zip from sd card” and select the downloaded ROM zip file.
- Select “Yes – Install”.
- This ROM installation takes several minutes.
- Next install the JB ROM Gapps zip file.
- Select “reboot system now”.
When you’re updating this AOKP ROM, you don’t need to wipe the user data. Although you need to install the same Android 4.1.2 jelly bean Gapps zip file. If not you will lose all the Google applications. In case if you feel to go back to the previous ROM, you can restore the previous nAndroid backup. But you have to find the previous ROM compatible kernel. Otherwise after the restore, your phone will not boot properly.