The latest Android 4.0.4 ICS CyanogenMod 9.1 custom ROM available Sony Xperia S LT26i and LT26a. This Xperia S ICS custom ROM is a AOSP. This after market firmware need to use CM kernel. This is an aftermarket popular android distribution for various handsets.
This Sony Xperia S LT26i CM9.1 custom ROM provides smooth and fast performances with pure android experience. This ROM doesn’t include Sony’s apps and features. Such as Bravia engine, Walkman media player. Moreover you can’t see the Google apps but it’s rooted. Therefor no need extra effort to rooting. As a result of lack of Gapps, you can’t see Google sync, Play store, etc stuff. Because they are not included the AOSP.
Therefore your Xperia bootloader unlock. Unlocking bootloader automatically perform a factory reset. So keep it remember. In addition to that, this Xperia S CM9.1 ROM installation need wipe data. Before follow this CM tutorial backup all the user data. If it’s reset your device, it will not touch external SD card. Like other popular AOSP firmware, this ROM needs a custom recovery. You can use either CWM or TWRP or any other compatible recovery.
If the most of the tutorials are mentioned it need to root, we can flash this ROM without root. Because CM kernel has CWM and it supports root. Therefore if your Xperia S doesn’t root, you can follow my tutorial without any issue. Although if it has the root, you can use the Titanium backup application or any other to backed up your stuff.
- Installing after market firmware void the Xperia S LT26 warranty.
- If your phone damaged or bricked by following Xperia S CyanogenMod 9.1 installation tutorial, I can’t claim its damages.
- This tutorial contains ROM zip file compatible with only LT26i and LT26a models.
- Backup and sync internal memory [ with root | without root ].
- Charge minimum 50%.
- Unlock bootloader. [ Guide in here ]
- Install adb and fastboot driver [ Guide in here ]
How to flash CyanogenMod 9.1 custom ROM Sony Xperia S LT26i.
- Very first we need to get the kernel file on this ROM. Extract it contains “boot. img” file and keep in in your desktop.
- Second copy the downloaded Xperia S CM9.1 ROM and its ICS Google applications zip files to the internal storage.
- Third uncompressed fastboot zip file to the desktop.
- Forth copy CM kernel (boot.img) to the fastboot files contain desktop folder.
- Fifth disconnects the phone from the computer, if it’s connected over USB.
- Now power off the Sony Xperia S and wait-a-bit.
- Now we have to boot the phone into the fastboot mode. No need to Power ON it.
- Press and hold the “Volume Up” key. Simultaneously connect it to your computer without Power ON.
- Top LED turn to “Blue”.
- Go to the fastboot exe files located folder.
- Press and hold the “Shift” key on your keyboard. Same time right in here.
- Next Windows context menu appears. Click “Open Command window here”.
- Type bellow kernel boot.img installation command.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Next type reboots the phone using the following command line.
- When see the “Free Xperia Project” bootlogo instantly start pressing and release the phone’s “Volume down” key. You have to do it until you see the custom recovery.
- Once phone booted into the CWM based recovery,
- Go to “backup and restore > backup”.
- Select “Wipe cache partition>Wipe cache”.
- Navigate to “Wipe user data/factory reset>Yes – Delete all user data.
- Choose “Advanced>Wipe dalvik cache>Yes – Wipe dalvik cache”.
- Go to the “Install zip from the sd card >Choose zip from the sd card” browse CM ROM.
- Confirm the ICS ROM installation by selecting “Yes – Install “.
- Next install Gapps zip file like the ROM installation.
- CWM main menu select “Reboot system now”.
- You have just installed Xperia S CM9.1 installation finished.
In future while you are updating Cyanogen ROM, it’s not necessary to do a reset. Although you need to install the previously used Google applications zip file. However if you install another Android version, such as jelly bean, in that situation, you need to use JB Gapps zip file.