Installing Sony Xperia U AOKP ROM? Yes, now we can install the latest Android 4.0.4 Ice cream sandwich ( ICS ) based AOKP ROM. This after market firmware is an AOSP version. Like other open source ROM, this one doesn’t include Google applications and Sony’s apps. You can install all the necessary Gapps using this post zip file. Unfortunately it is hard to install Sony’s some apps with the AOKP framework. Although you can install media player and several apps.
Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) firmware has more option to customize. User can adjust all most all the things. Different colors for notification area icon, custom navigation button, different boot animation and many more cool features. It has the Nexus and CyaongenMod 9.1 user interface, because all of them are AOSP.
Like most of the custom ROM, this AOKP has its own kernel. Most of the cases it uses the CyaongenMod kernel. Therefore your Xperia bootloader unlock. After unlocking bootlaoder, the user receives some advantages as well as disadvantages. Overclocking, custom kernel installs are some of the advantages. Although it will erase all the user data and DRM keys it’s a big drawback. This is not AOKP team official releases, it build by the Xperia kang project team.
- Manufacture not allow install after market firmware. Therefore your warranty void this installation.
- This AOKP ROM installation isn’t a risky. Although if you have done any mistake, it will cause unexpected results.
- This intended tutorial only for the Sony Xperia U ST25. Don’t install it to another device.
- Unlock the bootloader [ Guide in here ].
- Charge the battery minimum 50%.
- Backup and sync contacts [ With root | without root ].
How to install Sony Xperia U ST25 Android 4.0.4 Ice cream sandwich AOKP ROM.
- Before beginning the AOKP ROM installation uncompress fastboot exe files to a separate folder.
- Extract the AOKP ICS ROM contain “boot.img” kernel file.
- Save the kernel with fastboot files.
- Copy ST25 AOKP ROM and compressed Google zip files to the Xperia U SD card.
- Disconnect the Xperia U, if it’s connected over USB.
- Power OFF the phone.
- Reboot the Xperia U to the fastboot mode by pressing and holding “Volume Up” key and simultaneously connect the phone to the PC.
- Now your phone LED turn to “Blue”.
- Now we need to install Xperia U AOKP kernel.
- Open the fastboot folder.
- Press and hold the “Shift” key same time right click inside the folder.
- Context menu click on the “Open command window here” option.
- Type bellow Xperia U AOKP ROM kernel installation command.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- When it shows “finish”, disconnect the phone.
- Boot into the recovery. You can do it quickly pressing and releasing the volume down key when the phone booting. This kernel uses the CWM based recovery.
- In recovery,
- Go to “backup and restore>Backup”.
- Then select “Wipe cache partition>Yes – Wipe cache”.
- Next “Wipe user data/factory reset>Yes- Wipe user data”.
- After that “Advanced>Wipe dalvik-cache>Yes – Wipe dalvik cache”.
- Navigate to “Install zip from the sd card>Choose zip from the sd card”. Then browse the Xperia U ICS ROM zip.
- Select “Yes – Install”.
- Right after that, install the copied ICS Google apps zip file.
- CWM main menu select “Reboot system now”.
- Congrats, you have just installed AOKP custom ROM.
In above steps, I have mentioned wipe data, before installing the ROM. However when you are updating AOKP, you don’t need to factory reset your phone. But after ROM updated, again install the previously downloaded Google apps zip file.