Installing custom or stock ROM using recovery more easier. All most all the custom ROM’s installation based on the custom recovery. This method we need a compressed zip files. ClockworkMod (CWM) is one of the popular recovery, but its not the only one recovery. There are TWRP etc alternative options. Apart from that there are CWM based recovery.
This guide I added how to install a custom ROM and a kernel very first time and install the new version ROM over the older version. If you install ROM first time you should wipe the phone, if your update existing ROM, no need to wipe.
Some AOSP (Android Open Source) based ROM such as CyanogenMod, AOKP, Paranoid Android ROM doesn’t have Google apps, therefore you have to download and install Gapps zip file.
- First download and copy your device ROM zip file to your phone’s SD card. You can find ROM’s in the XDA forum. Moreover you can find cyanogenmod ROM’s in here.
- Make sure that, the ROM your ROM needs or not a custom kernel. Some android devices can’t flash kernel using recovery. Those devices require fastboot mode. If your device can install kernel using recovery, copy it to the SD card.
- Reboot into recovery. Different device has different ways to enable recovery mode.
- If you install selected ROM first time, you need to format your phone (not internal or external SD card). We have to wipe user data, apps caches and dalvik-caches.
- To wipe the user data go to “Wipe data/factory reset>Yes-Delete all user data”.
- To format apps caches go to “Wipe cache partition>Yes- Delete cache”.
- To clean the dalvik-cache, go to “Advanced>Dalvik-cache>Yes-Delete cache.
- When the recovery boot go to “Install zip from sd card>Choose zip from sd card”.
- If your device can flash kernel using recovery select the downloaded kernel zip file and select “Yes-Install”.
- Wait for a few seconds to complete the installation. When the installation completed again select “Choose zip from sd card”.
- Now select the downloaded ROM zip file on your phone’s SD card and select “Yes-Install xxxx-xxxx.zip”.
- Wait for a few seconds to complete the installation.
- After the installation completed, you’re in the “Choose zip from sd card” menu.
- If your ROM requires to flash Google apps, again select the Gapps zip file and select “Yes-Install”.
- When the installation has completed, go back to the main menu and select “Reboot system now”.
- First boot takes few minutes. It’s normal.
Install new version ROM [ Update ].
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- Go to “Wipe cache partition>Yes-Delete cache”.
- Navigate to the “Advanced>Dalvik-cache>Yes-Delete cache”.
- Now we can start the installation.
- Go to the main menu and select “Install zip from sd card>Choose zip from sd card”. Now select the downloaded kernel zip file. (If your device compatible flash kernels in recovery). .
- Select “Yes-Install xxxx-xxxxx.zip” and wait for a few seconds to complete the installation.
- After the installation completed, using same zip installation flash downloaded ROM zip file.
- When it completed, most of the custom ROM needs to flash the Google apps. So again select “Choose zip from sd card” and select the downloaded Gapps zip file on your phone, tablet SD card.
- When the installation has completed, go back to the main menu and select “reboot system now”.
- First boot takes a few minutes, its normal.
- [Easiest Way] Install Android ADB Driver On Windows Or Mac Computer.
- Root Sony Xperia S LT26 Android 4.0.4 & Android 4.1 Firmware ( ICS And JB ) With Windows & Linux PC.
- Cyanogenmod 10 ROM Downloader Free App [ CM10 Downloader ].
- Clean Android System Cache With Root [ Root Clean Android ].
- How To Flash A Kernel Sony Xperia Any Phone [Stock, Custom].