We already posted Xperia 2011 series phones will be receive android 4 ice cream sandwich ( ICS ) updates. But it was 7 months ago. As we mentioned, Sony mobile released ICS 4 updates for Xperia Ray, Neo v and Arc S received them last month. Unfortunately I can’t cover that update news. However, today we are going to tell you that, Sony mobile now released the latest android 4 ICS updates for the Xperia Mini, Mini Pro, Live with Walkman, Neo, Arc, Pro phone.
However software updates will be received different times, to your device. Because of it depends on your country and carrier. Therefore most probably you can update your handset within this week.
However this android 4 version has following issues,
- Android 4.0 require higher hardware requirements than the Gingerbread, so that your phone performances can be a slowdown.
- Once updated to the Ice cream sandwich ROM, you can’t downgrade to the Gingerbread (GB) ROM via PC comparison or OTA ( Over the air update). If you need to flash/install older android version, first root your phone and then flash new GB ROM using “Flashtool”. ( Rooting will void phone’s warranty )
- Some 3rd party apps may not be compatible with the ICS firmware, so you can’t use them. (If those apps developer updated them, you can use them)
- ICS does not support flash player, so that when you try to play some video, there is an issue. Therefore you have to manually install the “Adobe flash player” on your xperia phone via the play store.
New update has following main functions,
- Smart lock screen
- Smart dialer
- Improved Widgets
- Face unlock
- Multitasking UI
- Data consumption manager
- Quick response for incoming calls
- Group calendar
- Sync Calenders with Social networks
- Fast email search
- Group phonebook
- Easily toggle desktop web page
- Quickly add bookmarks ( web pages)
- Improved Voice search
- Improved Galleries
- Easily take screenshots
How to update Xperia Mini, Mini Pro, Live with Walkman, Neo, Arc, Pro to Android 4.0 ICS
- Run PC comparison, if your not installed go to your phone’s settings>Sony Ericsson>Connectivity”
- Now tick “Install PC Companion.
- When PC companion popup menu appears on your mobile tap “Install” button.
- Now it will be installed on your computer. Follow its onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
- After the installation finished, run the Sony PC companion.
- Backup your phone ( guide in here)
- If ICS update available to your region it will be notify you. Follow its instructions.
- Now you can enjoy ice cream sandwich.
What’s new in ICS 4 for 2011 Xperia