Sony Xperia Neo L MT25 now available Android 4.1.2 jelly bean CM 10 ROM. CyanogenMod 10 is an aftermarket community build custom ROM. This device not received any official JB update. Though Xperia Noe L is a popular mid range device. If you need to test the Android 4.1.2 this is a good opportunity.
CyanogenMod is based on the latest AOSP. Like other open source ROM, it doesn’t have the Google’s applications and sync services. Therefore you have to use the Gapps zip file in this post. CM knows for giving a pure Android experience. But it has few customizations.
Before starting the installation it’s highly recommended make a full nAndroid backup. It will save currently installed ROM and its data on your SD card. In future if you need to go back to the previous ROM, you can easily restore that backup.
This Android 4.1.2 jelly bean Xperia Neo L ROM optimized for better performance. But you can’t install any Sony’s applications. So you will lose camera, media player, etc. Though it’s not a serious issue. Instead of that, you will receive AOSP camera app, media player. It’s available root, support it.d scripts and give more RAM. This ROM not just like the previous Paranoid Android. Developer of this ROM TakuyaZ, regularly updates it.
CyanogenMod 10 has its own kernel. Therefore you have to unlock the Sony Xperia Neo L bootloader. After installed that kernel, you will receive a CWM based recovery. Therefore you don’t need to again install any custom recovery.
- This tutorial only for the Sony Xperia NEO L MT25. Don’t install this CM 10 ROM zip file for another device.
- Installing custom ROM voids the warranty.
- Backup the user data [ with root | without root ].
- Unlock the bootloader [ Guide in here ]
- Charge the battery minimum 50%.
- Install ADB driver [ Guide in here ]
How to install Android 4.1.2 jelly bean Sony Xperia Neo L MT25.
- Copy the downloaded ROM and Gapps zip file into the SD Card.
- Unzip the fastboot zip file to the desktop.
- Transfer the downloaded kernel file into the fastboot folder.
- Rename the kernel file as “boot. img” without quotes.
- Power off the phone.
- Press and hold the “Volume Up” key and same time connect the phone to the PC.
- Now sometime you can see fastboot driver installation. Wait until it’s completed.
- Exit Sony PC companion and Update service applications on your computer.
- Open the fastboot folder.
- Press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard and at the same time right click inside the folder.
- Now you can see the Windows context menu.
- Click its “Open command Window here” option like the following screenshot.
- Then you can see the command window.
- Type following command line.
- If it shows fastboot device’s xxxxxx message, you can go to the next step. If not install the ADB and fastboot drivers using this tutorial.
- Then type following kernel installation command line
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- When it shows “finished” message. Disconnect the phone from your computer and power on.
- While the phone booting, you can see the boot logo (first boot logo). Then continuously press and release the Volume Down key several times.
- Once you are in the CWM recovery first making an NAndrod backup. Go to “backup and restore>backup”. It will save your data and other ROM files into the SD card.
- Second go to “wipe data/factory rest>Yes – Wipe data“.
- Third navigates to “wipe cache partition>Yes – Wipe cache”.
- Now we can start the Xperia Neo L jelly bean ROM installation. Go to “install zip from sdcard>Choose zip from sdcard” and browse the CM10 file.
- To begin the installation choose “Yes – Install”.
- Once it’s completed, then install the Gapps zip file.
- Finally go back to the CWM recovery main menu. Then choose “reboot system now” option. Normally the first boot takes longer time than the usual booth.
- Congrats you have just update Xperia Neo L to Android 4.1.2 jelly bean.
Periodically developer of the ROM releases new bug fix version. It’s better to check for new version on the XDA development thread. When you’re updating, it’s not necessary to wipe data. Although you have to re-install the Gapps zip file.