Sony Xperia Z user now can easily install CWM based (ClockworkMod) recovery. Like our previous TWRP installation tutorial, this custom recovery needs an unlocked bootloader. Rooting is not an essential requirement, but you after the kernel installed, it’s better install SuperSU or SuperUser zip file. This Xperia Z CWM installation tutorial has all the steps.
There are many reasons to use a custom recovery. They are installing a custom ROM, backup enter ROM and its data, install flashable zip files, wipe data, cache, install kernel are some of them. Yes some of them can do without the recovery.
In order to follow this guide, your device should run on the stock firmware. This tutorial we are installing a CWM added stock kernel via fastboot mode. After the installation finished, you are again on the stock firmware with the CWM recovery. This Clockworkmod developed for Xperia Z by the XDA developer DooMLoRD.
Unlocking bootloader, installing modified kernel voids the Sony Xperia Z warranty. If your phone bricked (no booted) by following this tutorial, I can’t take its responsibility. But you can fix it by following this Xperia unbrick tutorial.
- Unlock the bootloader [ Guide in here].
- Charge the battery minimum 50%.
- Install ADB and fastboot driver [Guide in here].
How to install CWM (ClockworkMod) recovery Sony Xperia Z.
- Power off the phone and wait for a few second.
- Press and hold the Volume Up and at the same time connect Xperia Z to the PC via USB cable.
- When you connect your phone to the PC first time, it will start the driver installation. Wait till it complete.
- Extract the downloaded ZIP file to the desktop.
- Open the fastboot folder.
- Rename the downloaded CWM added kernel as boot.img
- Press and hold the Shift key on your computer keyboard and simultaneously right click inside the folder.
- Now you can see Windows’ context menu.
- Click its “Open command Window” here option.
- Then you can see the CMD window.
- Type following command and press the enter key to verify your computer successfully detected your phone.
- Next you can see “xxx xxxx xxxx xxxx fastboot devices” message. If it shows waiting for the device, install ADB and fastboot drivers using PDA net (Guide in here).
- Then type following command line to install the kernel.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- When you see following type message in your command window, disconnect the phone from your Windows PC and power ON.
- Congratulation, you have just installed the CWM based recovery on your Sony Xperia Z.
- To boot into the CWM recovery, reboot the phone. When the phone booting and the Sony boot logo appears and the LED blinks rapidly press the Volume Up key several times (more than 4 times).
- Now you can backup, install ROM, kernel and other zip files on your Sony Xperia Z.
- Install Xperia Z TWRP Touch Recovery For Locked Bootloaders.
- How To Root Sony Xperia Z Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware.
- Download Pie Launcher For Android Like Paranoid Android Desktop Launcher.
- Install AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-I777 Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 Jelly Bean ROM.
- How To Change Paranoid Android ROM Settings ParanoidPreferences.