How to install custom ROM on HTC One X smartphone? If you are a new user to the Android, this is a big question. This installation we need a custom recovery with root permission. Almost all the custom ROM installation methods are identical. In order to follow this ROM installation tutorial, your HTC One X should have to root and install a any custom recovery, such as CWM or TWRP.
In my earlier post, I mentioned that how to root and install CWM HTC One X easily. This tutorial I’m going to guide you how to install HTC One X ROM. Currently following ROM’s are available for the HTC One X, their download links are available at the end of the post.
If you use a clockwork mod touch recovery you can use your phone touch screen to give commands, also you can use volume buttons for selection, and power button for enable the selections.
There are mainly two types of custom ROM’s. They are AOSP based and OEM based stock. If you install AOSP based, it won’t give HTC One X Stock ROM features, apps and user interface.
- Charge the device minimum 50%.
- Root and install a recovery image. [Guide in here]
- Install ADB driver [Guide in here]
- Download fastboot files fastboot.
- Download ROM, that you wish to install in your HTC One X. [Supported ROM's download links available at the end of this post].
- Google apps in here. [If your ROM not available Google apps]
How to install custom ROM on HTC One X.
This installation mainly has two steps. First we need to install the ROM zip file contain or any compatible kernel (boot.img). After that we can start the ROM zip file installation.
How To Install a custom kernel.
- Download boot.img that ROM developer provided and move it to the fastboot folder.
- Rename downloaded boot.img as “boot” but don’t change its file extension.
- Boot into bootloader mode. User can do it by press and hold power button and volume down buttons.
- Connect your phone to the computer via a USB cable.
- Navigate to the fastboot folder and press “Shift key” and right click inside the folder. Now select “Open command prompt here” on the windows context menu.
- Now type following command to check your device successfully connected.
- If you can see a number listed, then type following command
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Now you flash a custom Boot.img and you’re ready to install a new custom ROM.
Start Installing a new HTC One X ROM.
- Boot with recovery mode, to do that simultaneously press and keep holding power and volume down keys few seconds in the bootloader mode navigate to “Clockwork Mod” using volume keys and hit the power button.
- Backup current ROM using CWM recovery to do that go to “Backup and restore>backup”. This nAndroid method will save your ROM and its data on your SD card.
- In the ClockWorkMod recover main menu select “Wipe data/factory reset” and, in the next screen go to “Delete all” and tap on the “Yes” or hit the power button.
- In the CWM main tap the “Wipe the cache partitions> Wipe cache partition”.
- Go to the Advanced and tap on the “Wipe delvlk cache > Wipe cache”.
- In the ClockWorkMod touch recover main go to “Install from SD card> Choose from SD card” Select the ROM that you saved in your SD card.
Tap on the “Yes Install…….”.
- Wait for a few minutes. This will take several minutes to complete the installation process.
- After it successfully finished you will receive “Install from SD card complete” message.
- Then install Gapps zip file (If your ROM doesn’t have Google apps).
- Navigate to the clockworkmod main menu and reboot the system.
- First start-up time will take longer time than usual boot time, it’s a normal and give wait for a few minutes.